Pilates Matwork & Reformer Certification Curriculum
This training consists of 2 three-day intensives for a total of 6 days consisting of 36 contact hours. This course covers the Fundamentals of Pilates movement as well as all levels (beginning, intermediate, and advanced) of the Pilates Matwork and Reformer. You will learn the classical work of Joseph Pilates as well as variations and modifications for each of the exercises. This course will equip you to teach a broad spectrum of clients from high-energy health club settings to clients with more therapeutic needs.
- Learn the system philosophy and 6 original principles of Joseph Pilates
- Learn the 34 Fundamentals that act as building blocks for actual Pilates
- Learn all beginning, intermediate and advance Pilates exercises both on the mat and reformer
- Proper sequencing, modifications, and variations for all exercises
- Client evaluation and program design
- Group Class formats, verbal cueing, tactile cueing, rhythm and pacing
- Postural analysis, contraindications, special populations, faulty movement patterns
- Trainee should be proficient in Pilates to an intermediate level (Level III) having attended at least 25 classes or privates by a certified instructor preferably on both mat and apparatus.
- Trainees should have a working knowledge of basic anatomy
- We realize that not all communities have access to a Pilates studio. Many of our trainees are the first in their community to open a studio. If Pilates classes are not available in your area, we can recommend books or videos for self-study.
- A Pilates Primer: The Millennium Edition (Return to Life & Your Health)
- Anatomy of Movement (Blandine Calais-Germain)
- Anatomy of Movement: Exercises (Blandine Calais-Germain)
- A Busy Person’s Guide to Easier Movement (Frank Wildman)
- Note: the above three books available through Momentum
- Momentum Training Manual (included in the tuition fee)
- 36 contact hours (6 days, 6 hours/day)
Courseis divided into 4 segments with a significant break between the first two and last two intensives to allow integration time.
- CEU’s for PT’s/OT’s as well as other disciplines may be available
- For CECs, attendance is required and certificate of attendance provided.
- For certification purposes, additional apprenticeship hours are required.
- Personal workout/review 40 hours
- Classes or Privates with a certified instructor: 65 hours
- Observation = 55 hours
- Practice Teaching = 84 hours
- Assistant Teaching = 20 hours
- Total 300 hours (including 36 contact hours)
All instructors (for assistant teaching, observation, & classes/privates) must have been certified for at least one year and approved by the educational director.
Cost of classes/privates is in addition to course fees. Apprenticeship period begins following the completion of Intensive One (no previous Pilates sessions can be applied toward apprenticeship requirements).
Trainees have TWO years to complete apprenticeship requirements and certification exam
Basic Course Tuition: $2400
$500 deposit** due with registration plus materials cost
$1900 due 15 days prior to day one of Intensive One
** $350 of the deposit is non-refundable/non-transferable
Certification Exam: $250
NM Sales Tax applicable for trainings conducted in New Mexico. Prices above do NOT include the sales tax.
Examfee is $250 and is scheduled individually by each trainee when ready
- All apprenticeship hours must be completed before taking the exam.
- Certification Exam may not be taken until a minimum of 9 months after completing the coursework
- The certification exam is written, practical, and oral.
- 16 continuing education hours required every two years to maintain certification ($25 recertification fee)